Jupiter is about expansion, growth, faith, hope, risks, travel. Jupiter is about learning beyond our limitations; travelling beyond our cultural physical and spiritual boundaries; and taking leaps of faith.
When you’re expanding past your waistband instead of into the world you look to Jupiter for answers on these questions:
- Where should you be expanding?
- Where are you selling yourself short?
- Where do you need to have faith and hope?
- Where do you look to experience the world in a broader way?
Jupiter spends about 1 year in each sign, and makes one full trip around the zodiac in around twelve years. Jupiter goes retrograde for about four months every year.
The symbol for Jupiter is below.
- By nature, it is warm and moist, masculine, nourishing, expansive.
- Jupiter is involved with growth and expansion- both physically and metaphysically.
- Jupiter is the Greater Benefic- a good guy- but often we don’t know how good until in hindsight.
- Jupiter in strong signs or good aspect to the Sun, Moon or Ascendant is generally someone with good health- relatively speaking…unless they live too well… (my hand is in the air)
- Jupiter is strongest in Pisces, Cancer and Sagittarius, and weaker in Gemini, Virgo and Capricorn- again relatively, not absolutely speaking.
- Jupiter in weaker signs can be a tad sluggish, lazy, glass half full or suspicious of luck.
The sign that your Jupiter is in will tell you how you grow, expand and improve yourself, how you seek to experience life beyond your normal horizons and boundaries.
I have Jupiter in Cancer- a place Jupiter is extremely comfortable. I’m (sometimes overly) open-hearted, (sometimes overly) generous, (sometimes overly) forgiving, (sometimes overly) protective, sometimes (overly) optimistic.
My glass isn’t half full- what I had I enjoyed, and now there’s room for more.
Doing it for yourself…
- What sign is your Jupiter in?
- What element is your Jupiter in? What do you think this might say about how you push past your boundaries and experience life beyond the horizon?
- What does your sign say about how you expand, grow and seek to improve yourself? Any strengths or challenges?
- Is there something that your Jupiter wants that it’s not getting? Is it getting too much of something too easily?
Wherever Jupiter is in your chart is that area of life where you are likely to take a few risks, find hope and trust for the future. It’s this part of life that helps you grow, improve yourself and expand into the world. It’s also where you find your own luck- or make your own luck…where the good things or benefits in life come.
Eg my Jupiter is in the 5th house. It’s about self-expression, pleasure, creativity, and having faith that the art I make (in my case, the words I write) will bring me abundance- of sorts…
The 5th is about giving birth to things and nurturing them- this can be literally parenthood, or the joy you take could be in the business you create or the art you make.
Doing it for yourself…
- What house is your Jupiter in?
- What does this say about where you seek to expand? Do you take more risks in this part of life? What do you do to improve in this area? Do you take your benefits for granted in this area?
Who does Jupiter talk to?
Aspects to other planets can help and hinder Jupiter in expressing itself to its fullest potential. Difficult aspects can mean that you have difficulty in allowing yourself to have faith- which in turn could hinder your expansion and growth. Difficult aspects could also mean that you might not know when to stop when it comes to indulgence or risk taking. Relatively speaking.
Generous, optimistic, confident, seeking new experiences
Not so happy Jupiter
Greedy, lazy, pompous, preachy, over-confident, in denial or delusional ie of realities and consequences
If you have Jupiter retrograde natally*, you tend to direct your faith inwards where it grows deep roots. Your exterior could appear more serious- even though beneath the surface you are generally optimistic. This could stop you from opening your heart easily or fully.
*Don’t know if Jupiter is retrograde in your chart? If you’ve cast your chart using astro.com, there’ll be a little r beside the symbol. If you’ve cast your chart using astrogold, the degrees will be in red.
We’ll talk more about rulerships as we go along, but for now:
- Jupiter rules the signs of Pisces and Sagittarius, so is influential over that part of life that has these signs on the house cusp.
- Jupiter is exalted in the sign of Cancer
- Jupiter is in its’ detriment in Gemini and Virgo- both Mercury ruled signs.
- Jupiter is in its’ fall in Capricorn.
For now? Hold this thought too…I promise we’ll get back to it.