Let’s talk about the Moon.
If the Sun represents our core motivations and vitality, the Moon is about our soul, our unconscious- the way we react to emotional triggers. The things we do without thinking. If the Sun is our will, the Moon is our gut.
This sounds quite straight-forward in theory, but what happens when the Sun and Moon are, as they are for many people, in different signs. Does that mean that your heart and your head are never in sync?
Sometimes yes, sometimes no. What it does mean is that you might need to make choices between contradictory desires, or have moments where your head rules your heart- or vice versa. This is neither good or bad, it just is.
The Moon changes signs every 2 ½ days, so if you’re not sure of your birth time, you mightn’t know your Moon sign. If you can narrow it down to morning or afternoon, it will help. Think about your reactions as a child and read the sign descriptions of the two options in the last season of the Toolbox. One or another should resonate with you.
The symbol for the Moon is…wait for it… a crescent Moon…
- The Moon represents our instincts, intuition, emotion, those reactions we have that seem to come from who knows where. It’s who you are at a soul or subconcious level.
- By nature, it is cool, moist, nutritive, feminine, absorbing and receptive.
- Just like the tides, the Moon represents those tidal rhythms within the body. Anyone who’s mapped their fluid retention to the cycles of the Moon can attest to this! More than this, it’s about our cycles.
- According to medical and traditional astrology, the Moon is responsible for illnesses and disorders that are a result of our habits and emotions. Yep, folks, lifestyle choices.
- It’s also stronger in water signs (especially Cancer and Pisces), and weaker in fire signs- again relatively, not absolutely speaking.
The sign that your Moon is in will tell you how you react emotionally or unconsciously to emotional trigger points. I’m a Pisces, so my reactions are supremely emotional. You can knock my spirits with a feather. I feel first and think later. There are no boundaries to my emotions- or my appetites…not so great for my waist-line. I can be an emotional eater/drinker, and often seek to escape when feeling overwhelmed.
The sign that your Moon is in also tells you much about your childhood- we tend to grow into our Sun, whereas our reactions as a child are pure Moon.
Doing it for yourself…
- What sign is your Moon in?
- What element is your Moon in? What do you think this might say about how you deal emotionally with things?
- What does this say about your reactions, the way that you nurture yourself, your attitude to food eg do you swallow your emotions?
Wherever your Moon is in your chart is that area of life where you react most instinctively. It’s also the part of your life where your emotional security is nourished- and most at risk or vulnerable. If you’re feeling insecure or blah, it’s this area of life that you look to for nutrition and to feel safe.
Eg if your Moon is in the 10th house, your career nourishes you and provides you with emotional security. If it’s in the 7th, that could come from partnership, or the search for partnership. Mine is in the 1st, so I wear my heart on my sleeve. How people perceive me or feel about me is hugely important to me.
Doing it for yourself…
- What house is your Moon in?
- What does this say about where you look for security?
- How does this describe what you do everyday?
- Is there something that your Moon wants that it’s not getting?
Who does the Moon talk to?
Aspects to other planets can help and hinder the Moon in expressing itself to its fullest potential. Difficult aspects can mean that you have difficulty in “feeding” or nurturing yourself, expressing yourself emotionally, or dealing with those habits that need to be dealt with. We’ll talk more about this when we get to the aspects part of this series. Hold that thought.
We’ll talk more about rulerships as we go along, but for now:
- The Moon rules the sign of Cancer, so is influential over that part of life that has Cancer on the house cusp.
- The Moon is exalted in the sign of Taurus.
You’ll note that these are both feminine signs, and signs about nutrition and storage.
- The Moon is in its’ detriment in Capricorn and in it’s fall in Scorpio.
For now? Hold this thought too…I promise we’ll get back to it.