It’s my birthday tomorrow (yay me!). In astrological terms, it is the date (or thereabouts) when the Sun returns to the exact position of my birth. The “return” we wish people a happy one for, is just that- a Solar Return.
Used for predictive purposes, it gives you an idea of the themes of the year ahead.
Last year I analysed my Solar Return on these pages in a “how to” guide:
Looking back at last years’ charts, the themes were definitely Scorpionic- demolitions, endings and wholesale purging were hallmarks of what ended up being transformative year.
This year promises to be very different. Again I have been boring and will be casting the chart at the same location I was born. Next year I reckon I’ll try somewhere different. In fact, I have only ever once been outside of NSW on my birthday- the year I turned 25 hubby & I were in Singapore.
Anyways, here is my quick analysis of my year ahead. Warning for non astro peeps- this post contains jargon and technical faff!
What sign is the Ascendant in?
This year my SR Ascendant is in Aquarius. Individuality, independence are key needs. There is a feeling that this year will bring out the real me- whoever that creature happens to be. Changes in daily routine from previous years will be a given, as will a stronger intolerance than usual to conformity. With Aquarius on the Ascendant, concerns will be future driven rather than hang-ups with the past.
Check out the ruler of the Ascendant
OK, Uranus (the modern ruler of Aquarius) is in Aries at 3 degrees. Saturn, the traditional ruler is retrograde in the 9th in Libra and conjunct the Moon.
What House is the SR Sun in?
This is the area of life that is most in focus for the next 12 months. Mine is in the 2nd, so I want to shine and really make an investment of myself in 2nd house themes.
The 2nd is about what we earn, how we earn it, what we value, our possessions etc. My ego is definitely focused on these concerns this year.
What aspects are made by the Sun?
The SR Sun is quincunx the SR Moon. There may be some unresolved emotional stuff still hanging around. Hey, I’m a Pisces with Venus quincunx Pluto- there is always going to be some murky stuff there somewhere. Doubts and indecision will surface and can provide great excuses for not manifesting the years potential.
Where is the SR Moon?
This year it is in social Libra, in the 9th house. So, my emotional focus for the year is in 9th house matters. This is where I act unconsciously, possibly not as rationally as I could, and where I have a huge emotional investment. As for aspects? A conjunction to Saturn and a reminder that for all the expansive temptations of the 9th house and my travel and publishing goals, I do have commitments & responsibilities.
Are there any planets on the angles of the SR chart?
These are emphasised during the year. In my chart, Jupiter is on the IC. I do intend being home based for work this year.
Check out also:
- Much as you would a normal chart, are the planets scattered or concentrated in one hemisphere of the chart. Eg mine are scattered about the chart. Focus? What focus?
- Much as you would a natal chart check out the position and condition of planets ruling your money house or relationship houses. Even though this is essentially a transit chart, it is still interesting to see. Neptune (with Jupiter) rules the 2nd & is in the 1st house. Me delusional about money? Who would have thought? The Sun rules my relationship sector.
- In the same vein, check out the ruler of the Midheaven. It’s Pluto, in Capricorn in the 11th.
- Are any planets in “critical degrees”? Not this year.
What part of life is being brought to the Ascendant?
Which natal house is being brought to the Ascendant? In my case the SR Asc is at 17 Aquarius, so the 11th house…just. The 11th house is traditionally associated with Uranus and Aquarius, so things like groups, friends, collaborations and expansion of existing circles will be important.
Are any planets or points in the natal chart brought to angles in the SR Chart?
Jupiter is being brought to the 4th (/10th). But no chart points are brought to the angles.
Are any planets or points in the degree of the nodes?
No. Jupiter is just under a degree away.
A Different Sort of Time Lord- Annual Profections & the Solar Return
(For a recap, check out the link to last years post.)
So this year, on my (gulp) 45th birthday, I have moved into a 10th house or Sagittarius profected year. This means that Jupiter, as the ruler of Sagittarius, is my “Time Lord” for the year. This planet will be sensitive to giving and receiving transits and progressions over the coming 12 months. The concerns of this planet will be important this year.
Examine the condition of the Time Lord in the natal chart
Time Lord: Jupiter
Houses Ruled by Time Lord in teh natal chart: 1st (Pisces) and 10th (Sagittarius)
House Time Lord occupies in the natal chart: 5th
Condition of the Time Lord in the natal chart: Jupiter at 24 Cancer has dignity by exaltation, triplicity and terms. Jupiter is, however, retrograde.
Examine the condition of the Time Lord in the Solar Return Chart
My Time Lord is Jupiter. In the SR chart it is at 8 Taurus in the 3rd house. It is conjunct Venus & the IC (so opposite the MC), trine Mars and trine Pluto.
- Which house in the natal chart does 8 Taurus fall? This is the natal 2nd house.
- Does the position of the Time Lord in the SR chart form an aspect to the natal position of the Time Lord? By sign is enough. A sextile by sign only.
Look at the strength of the Time Lord in the SR chart.
The better the condition, the more ability the planet has to act on your side in the coming year- even if it is a malefic like Saturn.
- Is it in a sign where it has dignity through rulership or exaltation (see the table in last years post). No.
- Does it have accidental dignity ie does it have more strength by being close to the angles or the cusps of the 1st, 4th, 7th or 10th houses? Yes, within just a few degrees of the 4th/10th.
- Is it retrograde? No.
- Is it combust ie does it fall within 8.5 degrees of the Sun? There is no greater affliction as the planet is said to be blinded & unable to see clearly. No.
- Is it cazimi ie with 17’ from being exactly conjunct the Sun? This is, in contrast, as really good thing as the planet is considered to be in the heart of the king. Note, to be either combust or cazimi, it must be in the same sign as the Sun. No.
- Is the Time Lord aspected by either of the malefics (Mars or Saturn) or the benefics (Venus or Jupiter)? By sign is enough. Conjunct Venus.
Aspects to the Nodes.
Any time the SR Time Lord conjoins the natal nodal axis is a big year. With less than a degree of orb from a conjunction to my North Node, let’s just say I have high hopes.