The first and the last degrees of any sign are full of potency.
In the first degree there’s the energy of the brand new. In the last degree there’s that final spurt to get to the finishing line.
This New Moon is about as new as you can get.
0 Capricorn 6’
Yes, you read it right.
0 Capricorn 6’
Capricorn New Moons are always about goals. But they’re also always about patience and hope. Yes, you read that right too.
After all, what is a goal other than a hope or a dream with a little structure and reality worked into it? A hope or a dream that you’re prepared to wait for, to work for?
Capricorn is also about resources- your personal ones and those that are at your disposal. Think about your energy levels and how and where you are employing them and depleting them. Where have you been so hellbent on achieving and measuring up that you’ve forgotten how to relax?
The sheer newness of this New Moon gives it incredible power. The sheer newness of this New Moon also means that the first step you take will be into the dark. And Capricorn does not like to not be able to see the road ahead. This time around, that’s sort of the point.
Here’s the thing, a New Moon with this much potential power for change needs some heavy duty, big, hairy arsed goals to match.
With five- count them (Sun, Moon, Mercury, Venus & Pluto)- planets in Capricorn at present, make sure that the goals that you set are realistic, disciplined, practical, long range, and require some amount of effort on your part.
If you’re the type who is into intentions rather than goals, avoid stating what you don’t want, or what you want to lose- the Universe is busy multi tasking and doesn’t have time to sit around waiting to hear all the little words. It’s a little like when I say to my dog:
‘Hi Kali, after I finish editing this chapter, if the weather holds, we’ll go for a walk.’
‘Blah Kali, blah blah blah blah walk.’
Using this logic, ‘I want to lose 20 kgs,’ could be construed as ‘blah 20 kgs.’ A little like this Christmas joke:
So, keep your intentions crisp, clear and precise….and real…although, with Mercury sextile Neptune, there’s also the opportunity to add a touch of creative inspiration to all of that practicality.
Ok, now to the DIY bit. If you need a refresher of how to put it all together, duck over to this post now.
Doing it for yourself…
Where in your chart?
Think about where 0 Capricorn falls in your chart. Look for the symbol above. What house is it in?
- Any New Moon falling in angular houses ie the 1st, 4th, 7th, and 10th, will work more obviously and publicly. These houses are associated with action
- The New Moon falling in succedent houses, ie the 2nd, 5th, 8th and 11th, will make you look more closely and work a little harder to identify and take advantage of the opportunity being presented to you. These houses are associated with security
- The New Moon falling in cadent houses, ie the 3rd, 6th, 9th, and 12th, will require a deeper focus, an adjustment or change, and will ask you to think, observe and learn from something or someone.
If you don’t know the time you were born, use the solar charts. Check out yesterdays Capricorn post for ore details.
What aspects are being made?
What planets and points does it hit? Any important aspects? Use an orb of about 2 degrees. Now work your goals and resolutions around these.
- Any planet (or point) between 0-2 degrees Capricorn will be conjunct the New Moon.
- Any planet (or point) between 0-2 degrees Cancer will be opposite the New Moon.
- Any planet (or point) between 0-2 Aries or Libra will be square the New Moon.
- Any planet (or point) between 0-2 degrees Taurus or Virgo will be trine the New Moon.
- Any planet (or point) between 0-2 degrees Pisces or Scorpio will be sextile the New Moon.
Give emphasis to the personal planets- remember, everyone in your generation will have Uranus, Neptune and Pluto in a similar degree to you- what becomes important is not the aspect being made by the New Moon to these outers, but the aspects that those outer planets make within your natal chart that are, in turn, activated by the New Moon.
What is the nature of the aspect?
What is the nature of the aspect? This will tell you whether the transit will be “easy” or “hard”- and that doesn’t mean “good” or “bad.”
Que? Trines and sextiles are supportive, but if the situation promised is not a welcome one, it will happen quicker and easier than anticipated. Likewise, squares and oppositions are challenging and may make you work harder and wait longer for a promised but welcome situation.
When it comes to sextiles, if both planets are in feminine signs, you’ll need to go looking for the opportunity.
Again, duck across here for a reminder.
What does it mean?
In short, here are the guidelines I use- thanks to the remarkable The Eagle and the Lark, by Bernadette Brady:
- What house is the Moon in natally? What house is the planet being transited by the Moon in natally? These areas will be where the transit starts to happen.
- What house is Moon transiting? This is where the main action will be occurring.
- What house/s is ruled by the Moon natally? What house is ruled natally by the planet being transited? These are the areas of life that will be affected by the outcome of the transit.
Putting it all together
My Moon is natally in the 1st house. I’m a New Moon baby. Every New Moon will be personal. This New Moon transits Saturn who also lives in my 1st house. This is about me, my structures, my fears.
The aspect is by square- something is forcing me into doing something difficult. Personally, I think this one is about health. It’s about the bad habits I indulge in in order to protect myself, to hide from possible rejection. The extra weight I carry is a layer of protection. It’s also an excuse and, is, I think, about to cause me some health issues.
This New Moon falls in my 10th house. Given that my progressed Moon (don’t worry if you don’t understand this) has recently moved into Capricorn, this New Moon falls conjunct my Progressed Moon. That’s important.
The 10th house is an action house. There are things that I need to do, take action on. This one is about work, my public image, my career. This is where things are happening…man, are they happening!
The Moon rules my 5th house. Every New Moon for me has an outcome here. The 1st and the 5th are my lunar stories. Saturn rules the 11th and the 12th (traditionally). My hopes and dreams will be affected by the outcome of this one.
Often times absolutely nothing will happen…or seem to happen…even if you are receiving a direct contact. When it comes to the moon, the effects are usually a lot more subtle than that.
If you haven’t been doing so, why not try journaling your lunar journey- you’ll be surprised how, in hindsight, more has been going on than you might have thought.