My Mum is Aquarius personified. She has the Sun, Venus & Mercury in Aquarius and absolutely nothing in any water signs…with the amount of water I have, that was probably a good thing for me growing up!
Anyways, I figure this helps explain a few things:
- her “individual” dress sense…& I mean that in the nicest possible way… My Mum has been the same weight since the day she got married (although she did tell me that once she ballooned all the way up to 9 stone) despite never dieting or exercising (if she feels the urge, she lies down until the feeling passes) and for many years made all her own clothes. Because she has always had such a neat figure, she could look great in anything- even the overalls & gumboots or riding boots she would occasionally turn up at the school in (so embarrassing). In fact, I recently put together an old fashioned slide show for my younger sisters’ 4oth birthday that had an entire section on the many ways that Mum could wear the separate pieces of one hot pink suit in the early 70s.
- her inventiveness. My Mum was the only Mum who did pottery, painting, cattle mustering & has carried a saddle from house to house over all the moves we have done in the hope that one day she will have something to put under it. Mum could fashion a dress up outfit from nothing…although I am sure my brother still cringes at the photos of him going as an oil heater to an Easter Parade. Personally I loved the clucky hen on my head & possibly the witches outfit was a sign of things to come. These days that inventiveness & quirkiness is invested in finding cool things to do with the grandkids- I would like to bet most kids don’t get excursions that range widely from cemetaries to ferries to fishing trips to weeding days.
- her community spirit. Mum has always given more of herself. As kids it was canteen, remedial reading, school art classes. These days she is heavily involved in dog obedience training (she is an instructor, but refused to pass Kali & I as she said my dog was capable, but I was too undisciplined…), dog safety awareness sessions at schools & the local council & animal welfare.
- wanting to know stuff. This goes beyond academic brightness. While my husband would disagree, Mum likes to know how stuff works. Her perseverence & logic is tested in her family history research & training courses on…well, dog training.
- her detachment. Mum doesn’t tend to covet anything. She has always been able to make do on not a lot- which, with 4 kids & being a stay at home mum, she had to be able to do.
It is the detachment that is the part I least understand about Aquarius…yet with as much Pisces as I have, I figure that if I didn’t have a Mum who taught me not to get emotional about EVERYTHING (or at least to hide it) I would possibly be in a very different position now…& not necessarily a better one!
When I say detachment, I don’t mean uncaring- Aquarius is often mistakenly said to be uncaring. The thing is that Aquarius is bigger than the ego. As a kid Mum was always quick to put our issues clearly into perspective.
The other thing about Aquarius is that you can’t understand Aquarius without looking at both Uranus and Saturn- the modern and traditional ruler of Aquarius. For more on this, check out this post…starring Robbie Williams.
This song gives me goosebumps every time. Hmmm….so does the divinely inked Mr Williams. But given that I am not usually attracted to Aquarian men…I suspect that particular culprit is his irresistable Scorpio Moon & has nothing to do with his cuteness or his ink. It is the Scorpio Moon that adds the intensity, the dark lows & the emotion in this clip. Check it out on YouTube here.