Mercury is retrograde until around 7th August- here’s one I prepared earlier, with some minor adjustments for the Leo thing…
Jab, straight, uppercut, duck, weave, hook, straight.
Easy enough instructions.
Shoulders down, back foot down, punch from the hip, core on, wrists strong… WTF?
This mornings training session was always going to be a sweat fest. That’s cool- after too many days of over consumption in the Hunter, I needed a good training session. Today though, my brain just couldn’t get the messages straight.
Mercury has slowed right down and is getting ready to turn retrograde and even my brain (which normally works at a Mercury retrograde pace) is having just a few problems with connecting the dots today.
I have this theory the fall out from Mercury retrogrades hits us because we need to slow down. Computer breakdowns, delays, mixed messages- they stop us in our tracks.
By making us vulnerable, by instigating meltdowns (of any description) we have no choice but to take a good long hard look at ourselves and our life styles. So instead, we build protective walls around us as we madly back up computers, triple check travel plans and appointments. We spend hours doing stuff that is really just basic common sense when you think about it.
We should be testing changes, we should be confirming appointments, we should be doing re words as a matter of course. We shouldn’t need a Mercury retrograde period to force ourselves into being just a tad vulnerable. Meltdowns can be messy, but also therapeutic.
So, that’s my theory, now for the practicalities.
Firstly, the basics regarding a Mercury retrograde period:
- The planet isn’t really going backwards, it just appears that way from where we stand here on Earth
- During any retrograde cycle of any planet we bring our attentions within. The energy of the planet is intensified, and that energy is brought within. In that case of Mercury that means how we think, how we transmit messages and how messages are communicated and understood around us
- this is your signal to slow down, go within, review, revise, rewind. We review and revise in our head the nature of the area of life this retrograde is happening in for us. With our brains occupied in a different way we lose focus on what is happening around us- and that is when things, generally shitty things, happen.
We know all about the re words:
- Take the time to recharge your batteries
- Revise your goals
- Review your bright ideas
- Regain your faith in the future
- Recommit to habits, goals, the things you need to recommit to
- Reconnect with colleagues & friends you haven’t seen or spoken to for some time
- Renew and refresh whatever is jaded and old
- Revisit places, books, movies that mean something to you
- Rest and relax
We know the type of things Mercury retrogrades can impact:
- Appointment times
- Travel times & arrangements
- Computers, phones & other electronic devices
- Getting to & from places
- Contracts and other documents
And we know how to mitigate the possible damage:
- Re-confirm appointments
- Check & re-check your travel arrangements
- Insure your luggage and tickets and make sure you have copies of all travel documents- preferably not in your bag
- If travelling carry a spare toothbrush and change of clothes as carry on- just in case
- Avoid mechanical problems, by making sure your car services are up to date
- Back up computers
- Avoid purchasing any major technology over this period
- Avoid signing contracts, but if you have to, make sure you have read & re-read all the fine print
- If you must commence a new project, do the scoping work carefully- and seriously people, we should be doing this anyway!
- If you have any changes going “live” or being implemented, test, re-test, regression test, test the back out, test the install & test again. Test.
We even know the people most likely to be impacted by the retrograde cycle:
- People with strong Mercury charts eg people with the Sun, Moon, Ascendant or Mercury in Mercury ruled signs ie Gemini or Virgo.
- People with these planets in the 3rd house
- People who have the Sun, Moon, Mercury or Ascendant in the sign which is receiving the retrograde
- People who have planets or chart points at the position where Mercury stations- either to go retrograde or direct.
Essentially those who have a crappy Mercury (such as my own- the worst Mercury in history) tend (with some exceptions) to escape relatively lightly. Why? Because natally our Mercury operates in the same way as when it is retrograde- we review and revise and go into our own heads as part of a normal day. What happens during a Mercury retrograde is that everyone is now on our wave-length!
So, what makes a bad (and when I say bad I don’t mean evil bad, I mean that it works differently to the way Mercury is supposed to work…personally mine is crappy, but it suits me- if you know what I mean) Mercury?:
- Mercury in Pisces (check)
- Mercury in the 12th house (check)
- Mercury tightly aspecting Neptune
- Mercury retrograde natally (check)
This year all the Mercury retrogrades take place in fire signs. This changes the playing field a little. First cab off the rank is Aries (of course…).
This means that:
- People who have the Sun, Moon, Ascendant or Mercury in Aries will be impacted by this retrograde
- If you have planets or chart points (eg Ascendant, Midheaven, Descendant or IC) at 12 Leo (where Mercury stations to go retrograde) or 1 Leo (where he stations to go direct), you will also feel this one.
Fire Mercury is assertive, impulsive, demonstrative and energetic. Leo Mercury is all of these things plus you can add proud and stubborn to the mix. So, the types of things we may expect (in addition to the above) are:
- Tempers may flare quicker than usual for seemingly insignificant reasons
- You may be too proud to let go of a position you previously took
- Temper tantrums may take on diva-ish proportions
For all of us?
- Check out where 12-1 Leo falls in your chart. This is the part of life where you need to do extra re stuff. As an example, in my case this transit is in my 5th house. The 5th house is creativity, children, fun, risk. No casino visits for me this month…
- Check out also the parts of your chart ruled by Mercury (these will be the houses with either Gemini or Virgo on the cusp). Mercury natally rules the relationship and home sectors in my chart and is in Pisces in the 12th house. Again, not a great time to make lasting decisions around relationships or choosing to paint that wall kitchenaid red.
- Check out any other planets being touched by this retrograde and what they symbolize in your chart.
This retrograde period I intend to spend a lot of time writing. I have edits to do on the novel I am trying to flog, and a word count target on the Astro book I am writing. Plus, I have a heap of pitches out there for non Astro articles as I get this freelance writing thing off the ground.
Where does 12-1 Leo fall in your chart? What are your plans for this particular retrograde?