It’s review time.
My Solar Return today (my birthday is tomorrow), so, as I do every year, it’s time to check out the year in reference to last years Solar Return.
And what an Aquarian year it was.
Last year was differentiated by difference. Different routines, different acquaintances, different groups- and a lot of it via cyber space. It was seriously Aquarian in nature.
It was a year where I learned the importance of routine. It was also the year when I learned that how much I earn really has nothing to do with self esteem. For so many years my ego was closely tied in with my title and how much was in the bank account- what other people thought that I was worth.
In many ways it felt like an in between year, a year of adjustment, of new balances, or being almost there but not quite manifesting the potential. Almost.
With this many planets in Pisces, this years return looks very different. As Eric Francis from Planet Waves wrote in one of his articles- you have to go back to 1967 to find something this interesting happening in Pisces. My 1st house planets would tell you that given I was born in 1967, he’s right on the money.
I read the Solar Return chart as a chart in it’s own right and in comparison to my birth chart (below).
What sign is the Ascendant in?
This year my SR Ascendant is in Taurus. Concerns around finances and other business matters are being brought to the surface. I’m working hard on improving these things- and worrying about them too.
There is a feeling that this year will be one of consolidation.
With Taurus on the Ascendant, this year will be more conservative n nature than last year was. I’ll also be looking at bringing more beauty in- starting with my own appearance.
Check out the ruler of the Ascendant
Venus is the ruler of my Ascendant this year…nice.
Venus is conjunct the SR Sun, but comparing back to my natal chart, it’s also conjunct my natal Ascendant. This year I should be able to attract the people and things that I want to attract in my life.
What House is the SR Sun in?
This is the area of life that is most in focus for the next 12 months. Mine is in the 11th , so hopes, dreams, friends, and other 11th house things are where my ego is invested this year.
What aspects are made by the Sun?
The Sun is conjunct Venus. This is a great year also for creative expression, fun, and being with people.
The Sun is also conjunct the Moon. My Solar Return occurs just a few hours before the New Moon, so this year has an element of freshness about it, of vibrancy and youth…it would be nice if that means that those saggy bits under my chin…that would be asking for too much.
Where is the SR Moon?
This year it is in Pisces. It’s in the 11th and it’s in cahoots with the Sun, Venus and Mercury. This is intense stuff and beneficial. Sure it’s technically balsamic- just- and Mercury is retrograde. Natally though, Mercury is retrograde and 12th house. Further as a uber Pisces I’m well used to this level of sensitivity.
Are there any planets on the angles of the SR chart?
Not this year.
Check out also:
- Much as you would a normal chart, are the planets scattered or concentrated in one hemisphere of the chart. This year the bulk of my planets are located in the 11th house.
- Much as you would a natal chart check out the position and condition of planets ruling your money house or relationship houses. Even though this is essentially a transit chart, it is still interesting to see. Neptune (with Jupiter) rules the 2nd & is in the 1st house. Me delusional about money? Who would have thought? The Sun rules my relationship sector.
- In the same vein, check out the ruler of the Midheaven. It’s Pluto, in Capricorn in the 11th.
- Are any planets in “critical degrees”? Not this year.
What part of life is being brought to the Ascendant?
Which natal house is being brought to the Ascendant? In my case the SR Asc is at 0 Taurus, so the 2nd house. The 2nd house is associated with money, possessions, self esteem, value- everything that’s important to you.
Are any planets or points in the natal chart brought to angles in the SR Chart?
Are any planets or points in the degree of the nodes?
Are any planets or points in the critical degrees of a sign? Ie 0 or 29?
Yes. The Ascendant is at 0 Taurus and Mars is at 28Pisces59’.
A Different Sort of Time Lord- Annual Profections & the Solar Return
So this year, on my (gulp) 46th birthday, I have moved into a 11th house or Capricorn profected year. This means that Saturn, as the ruler of Capricorn, is my “Time Lord” for the year. This planet will be sensitive to giving and receiving transits and progressions over the coming 12 months. The concerns of this planet will be important this year. Wow- this is time for me to get serious!
Examine the condition of the Time Lord in the natal chart
|Time Lord (Ruling planet of profected house)||Saturn|
|Houses ruled by the Time Lord in the natal chart||11th and 12th|
|House Time Lord occupies in the natal chart||1st house|
Condition of the Time Lord in the natal chart: Saturn in Aries is in the sign of his fall. Aries likes quick results and Saturn likes long term strategies involving hard work. The 1st house does give it accidental dignity though.
Examine the condition of the Time Lord in the Solar Return Chart
Saturn is retrograde in Scorpio and is square Pluto- I need to go deep within to find power. It’s also trine Mercury and the Moon.
- Which house in the natal chart does 11 Scorpio (the position of the Time Lord in the SR chart) fall? This is the natal 8th house.
- Does the position of the Time Lord in the SR chart form an aspect to the natal position of the Time Lord? By sign is enough. No.
Look at the strength of the Time Lord in the SR chart.
The better the condition, the more ability the planet has to act on your side in the coming year- even if it is a malefic like Saturn.
- Is it in a sign where it has dignity through rulership or exaltation (see the table in last years post). No.
- Does it have accidental dignity ie does it have more strength by being close to the angles or the cusps of the 1st, 4th, 7th or 10th houses? Yes, in the 7th.
- Is it retrograde? Yes.
- Is it combust ie does it fall within 8.5 degrees of the Sun? There is no greater affliction as the planet is said to be blinded & unable to see clearly. No.
- Is it cazimi ie with 17’ from being exactly conjunct the Sun? This is, in contrast, as really good thing as the planet is considered to be in the heart of the king. Note, to be either combust or cazimi, it must be in the same sign as the Sun. No.
- Is the Time Lord aspected by either of the malefics (Mars or Saturn) or the benefics (Venus or Jupiter)? By sign is enough. No.
Aspects to the Nodes.
Any time the SR Time Lord conjoins the natal nodal axis is a big year.
I have my eye very firmly on that 2nd house Jupiter in my solar return…and hoping it will bring 2nd house abundance!