Following the re-publishing of my synastry piece by Sasstrology the other day, I thought I’d re-publish the companion piece. Here it is…
I was sleeping and right in the middle of a good dream
Like all at once I wake up from something that keeps knocking at my brain
Before I go insane I hold my pillow to my head
And spring up in my bed screaming out the words I dread
I think I love you
This morning I woke up with this feeling
I didn’t know how to deal with and so I just decided to myself
I’d hide it to myself and never talk about it
And did not go and shout it when you walked into the room
I think I love you
Lyrics from I Think I Love You by the Partridge Family…and Voice of the Beehive
So there you are. Across a crowded room or a meeting table or just after one or two beers too many your eyes meet. And this time it’s Different. Perhaps you’ve been mates for years and then something changes. Perhaps it’s the lightning bolt thing. Perhaps it’s a gradual awakening. Whatever.
Friends of mine said after meeting each other and exchanging a few kisses at a party that each had the same two thoughts:
- “Wow- this really feels like Something Big is happening” and
- “I hope he’s/she’s not a Collingwood Supporter.”
A dislike of that particular football club has turned out to be just one more thing they have in common. It is a Pisces/Sagittarius match and very happy.
Perhaps you have done the same in relation to your least favourite sign- “I hope he isn’t a Virgo/Pisces/Aries/whatever”. But if there is a connection there, isn’t it worth giving it a shot? Even if he is a Virgo/Pisces/Aries/whatever. (Unfortunately, when football allegiances are involved the opportunity for leeway is substantially less :)).
So what if he isn’t a sign the textbooks say you will be compatible with? You mightn’t relate from a sun sign viewpoint, but may be extremely compatible on an emotional (Moon) level or a sexual level (Mars). Or, you could be perfect at a Sun sign level and absolutely off the rails in every other way. So check out the whole picture before you go and ruin what could be a really great time.
Anyways, here is the quick guide by the elements.
- Same elements work well eg water works well with water, fire with fire etc. Just remember, there is such a thing as too much compatibility- too much water in the chart is likely to drown the participants who may be too busy doing emotional stuff to move it into the bedroom, likewise too much Air not getting past the talking stage, Fire who will wear each other out (sounds interesting) but still not know each other and Earth who just have to do get the work done first.
- Yin signs go reasonably well with other yin signs and yang with yang. So, Earth is OK with Water (but can be a tad on the muddy side), Fire is OK with Air (albeit a little on the hot air side).
- Water and Earth are not so good with Fire or Air and vice versa. This isn’t to say it’s impossible, just a little challenging in some ways- as is evidence by my Pisces/Sagittarius friends.
- Think about the nature of the elements at play and what that says about each of you. Again, too much compatibility can be boring, and too little just way to hard, but much fun can be had in the process.
Go with the Sun first, and if it develops further, check out the mix on the other personal planets:
The Moon: How well you relate on an emotional level. Same rules apply. What makes you comfortable, safe and nurtured. In a mans’ chart if often indicates what he looks for in a partner. Look also at whether your Sun relates to his Moon and vice versa.
Mercury: How you communicate. Are your thought patterns similar? We’re not talking values here- that is completely different, but rather how you think, how you communicate. Are both of you good with sub-text or is one literal minded? How are you both with non verbal cues or does one need it all explained. As an example, I have a friend who, like me, has Mercury in Pisces in the 12th. We can have an entire discussion about our deepest feelings and fears without actually saying much at all. We just know.
Venus: How you relate. What makes you feel good. Venus in Aries with Venus in Sag? Sparks will fly. Venus in Taurus and Venus in Libra? Some compromise will be required between social activity and the couch…or combine the two J. In a man’s chart, the Venus characteristics are often what he looks for in a partner.
Mars: Sexual compatibility, energy levels, what turns you on & off. How you fight, sorry, assert yourself. Both Mars in Scorpio? Dirty fights and great make-up sex. In a womans’ chart it often shows what she looks for in a partner. Mars in Aries and Mars in Scorpio? A little competition can be very exciting.
Get the idea?
Taking it one step further, think about signs whose ruling planet is shared eg Mars rules both Aries and Scorpio, Venus rules both Taurus and Libra, Jupiter rules both Pisces and Sagittarius. Even though these combos would normally be in the not so good category, they get points because the nature of the ruler is similar. Although many other astrologers would disagree with me on this one, I have found it to be the case.
So, to illustrate, I will use my own relationship. In the interests of privacy, I won’t make any comment other than what the mix is, but will say that we have been together since 1989. OMG I was soooooooooooooooo young!
|Jo||Pisces (W)||Pisces (W)||Pisces (W)||Aries (F)||Scorpio (W)|
|Hubby||Scorpio (W)||Gemini (A)||Libra (A)||Libra (A)||Scorpio (W)|
Get the idea? Have a go with your own relationships, friendships, working partnerships.