The problem with habits is that in order to be defined as one, you actually have to do the thing that’s going to be a habit more than once.
Sad but true.
Now, those of you out there with more fixed energy in your charts, and more Saturn than I would be rolling your eyes about now.
The thing is, there’s a vast chasm, a great empty canyon of space between what I know I should be doing, my intentions and….what I should be doing. The mind is willing, but the spirit very easily distracted…or something like that.
Anyways, at this time of the year I get to thinking a lot about habits- mostly bad, some good, some new, some ancient.
I’ll make a declaration, it might be a blanket statement about giving up alcohol, wheat, carbs after 3pm. It might be a declaration about training twice a day…no excuses. It could even be something about never ever ever letting the weeds in my garden get to triffid height, or taking vitamins, probiotics and those fishy things that are supposed to help my joints each morning.
I like to think that I can do it once, and it will be ingrained. Yes, seriously.
Three things are inherently wrong with this scenario:
- I have an abundance of mutable planets in my chart, as such change is second nature…habits are not so…unless they are bad, fun, unhealthy ones. Instead I should be building on one habit a week, cementing it, and then trying another. That’s what I’d tell me if I was sitting in front of me having an astrology reading and bitching and complaining about not being about to stick at anything.
- I have a whopping great opposition in my chart: ASC/Sun/Moon in Pisces vs Uranus and Pluto in Virgo. As a result I go from chaos to control faster than a Ferrari can do the 0-60 thing. All or nothing, perfection or crap seems to be my modus operandi when moderation and middle ground should be what I’m aiming for. That’s what I’d tell me if I was sitting in front of me having an astrology reading and bitching and complaining about not being able to find a balance.
- Life is messy. Very messy, and very rarely heads in a straight line. I might be great for, oh, hours…sometimes even days….then I hit a bump and things fall apart. It’s at this point that the old habits jump back up and down “pick me, pick me” they yell. Ok. Sure, I say.
At the Virgo New Moon we have the opportunity to do a little house cleaning, a little sprucing up of habits. It might be an efficiency wake-up call, a gentle dust down, or you could be needing the full on premium service overhaul. That’s your call.
Where 2 Virgo 19’ falls in your chart is the area of life requiring a little Virgo attention to detail. In my case it’s my 6th house, so my daily and healthy (or otherwise) habits, my work routines and the work that I “outsource.”
I know that my nutrition and training are in need of a tad more than some tweaking. I’ve been on and off the wagon too often over the past few months.
So too my work habits. I tend to say yes when I should be saying no, and find myself investing time and energy in things that get in the way of what I really want to be doing. This undiscriminating Piscean needs a little more Virgo discrimination, me thinks. Yes, my act needs cleaning up.
The message for this New Moon is threefold:
- The perfection trap. This is Virgo, after all. Repeat after me- there is no such thing, so accept it and give yourself a break.
- Deviations and bumps. There will be both. Accept it.
- Life is messy. This can be fun…or not…. Either way, it’s a statement of fact, so again, accept it.
So, DIYing it…
Where on the chart?
Before you can even begin to answer these questions, you need a chart.
If you don’t know how to do this, I’ve pinned this post to the front page of the website.
Now, find the sign that we’re talking about.
This month the New Moon is in Virgo- the symbol for that is below- it looks a little like an M with a reverse tail.
Now look for the degree. This month we’re after 2 degrees. In my case, it falls in the 6th house.
This will tell you what part of life is being energised by the New Moon.
2. What part of life?
Each segment of the chart, we call them houses, represents a different part of life.
This is where the Moon is transiting.
The Cross of Matter
- Any New Moon falling in angular houses ie the 1st, 4th, 7th, and 10th, will work more obviously and publicly. These houses are associated with action.
- The New Moon falling in succedent houses, ie the 2nd, 5th, 8th and 11th, will make you look more closely and work a little harder to identify and take advantage of the opportunity being presented to you. These houses are associated with security.
- The New Moon falling in cadent houses, ie the 3rd, 6th, 9th, and 12th, will require a deeper focus, an adjustment or change, and will ask you to think, observe and learn from something or someone.
3. What planet or chart point is being aspected?
Look at the degree again. This month it’s 2. Now take a look around your chart.
Are there any planets between 0 and 4 degrees? Anywhere?
What about the degree that’s on your ASC or MC? This should be clearly marked on your chart. This is what I mean when I refer to chart points.
- Any planet within 2 degrees either side of the New Moon in the same sign as the New Moon is conjunct the New Moon. This month, that is any planet (or point) between 0-4 degrees Virgo.
- Any planet within 2 degrees (either side) in the sign opposite the New Moon is in opposition to the New Moon. This month, that is any planet (or point) between 0-4 Pisces.
- Any planet within 2 degrees (either side) in the sign square the New Moon, and in the same modality to the New Moon is square to the New Moon. This month, that is any planet (or point) between 0-4 Gemini or Sagittarius.
- Any planet within 2 degrees (either side) 3 signs around from the New Moon, in the same element as the New Moon is trine the New Moon. This month, that is any planet (or point) between 0-4 Capricorn or Taurus.
- Any planet within 2 degrees (either side) 2 signs around from the New Moon, in the same polarity as the New Moon is sextile the New Moon. This month, that is any planet (or point) between 0-4 Scorpio or Cancer.
Give emphasis to the personal planets- remember, everyone in your generation will have Uranus, Neptune and Pluto in a similar degree to you- what becomes important is not the aspect being made by the New Moon to these outers, but the aspects that those outer planets make within your natal chart that are, in turn, activated by the New Moon.
4. What is the nature of the aspect?
What is the nature of the aspect? This will tell you whether the transit will be “easy” or “hard”- and that doesn’t mean “good” or “bad.”
Que? Trines and sextiles are supportive, but if the situation promised is not a welcome one, it will happen quicker and easier than anticipated. Likewise, squares and oppositions are challenging and may make you work harder and wait longer for a promised but welcome situation.
- When the Moon is conjunct a planet or chart point, her energy is fused with that planet. She takes over that planet. Her energy is stronger than the planet she is invading.
- When the Moon is opposing a planet or chart point, “someone or something “out there” is doing something to you and furthermore, it’s their fault.” A decision is necessary.
- When the Moon is square a planet or chart point, there is tension and frustration- something happens which will force you “into a mode of action that you have not yet explored…results stimulate actions rather than decisions.”
- When the Moon is trine a planet or chart point whatever is going to happen will happen quickly and relatively easily. Obstacles will be removed. This doesn’t mean that it will be good or painless, just that whatever is going to happen will happen quickly and relatively easily.
- When the Moon is sextile a planet or chart point opportunities may arise.
5. What does it mean?
In short, here are the guidelines I use- thanks to the remarkable The Eagle and the Lark, by Bernadette Brady:
- What house is the Moon in natally? What house is the planet being transited by the Moon in natally? These areas will be where the transit starts to happen.
- What house is Moon transiting? This is where the main action will be occurring.
- What house/s is ruled by the Moon natally? What house is ruled natally by the planet being transited? These are the areas of life that will be affected by the outcome of the transit.
In my case, my natal Moon is in the 1st house and rules my 5th house. All New Moons will, for me begin with me, and have their outcome on my “babies”, i.e. everything in my 5th. The main action around this will occur in the house the New Moon falls in- in this case, the 6th. the story will be altered by any planets being aspected along the way.
This month, the New Moon is sextile Mars:
1. The Moon is in the 1st, Mars is in the 8th. These areas of life will be where the effects of the New Moon start to happen. This has something to do with me, my dreams, my drive, my emotions, the deep base instincts…and fears.
2. The Moon is transiting the 6th house- this is where the main action will be occurring. Habits, routine, healthy and otherwise?
3. The Moon rules my 5th house, and Mars rules my 2nd and 8th . There will be an impact on my 5th, as always, but this time it’s also something to do with money, resourcing and self-resourcing- I have a tax return due and am looking at renovating a bathroom.
4. The nature is a sextile, so I will need to recognize the opportunities and do something about it…or not. It will require some effort (the 2nd,5th and 8th are succedent houses), and I will need to get off my butt and do something (the 1st and 7th are angular or action houses).
6. There are no planets in the house receiving the New Moon?
That’s ok. This area of life will be activated regardless. Aspects made by the New Moon to planets in your chart will change the conversation that’s happening. No aspects, means general energy directed to that part of life. This house will have extra importance to you at this time.
7. Keep an eye on any longer lasting transits
The New Moon will activate the promise of any slow moving transit currently present in your life.
8. Set your intentions
Make them personal, make them achievable and make them relevant to the house receiving the New Moon. If it’s the 1st, you might want to make a few tweaks to your personal style, perhaps alter your behaviour or mask a tad. If it’s your 2nd, you might want to look at your budget, spending, attitude to money…you might want to clean out your wardrobe. Get it?