Where in the chart?
Before you can even begin to answer these questions, you need a chart.
If you don’t know how to do this, I’ve pinned this post to the front page of the website.
Now, find the sign that we’re talking about.
This month the New Moon is in Sagittarius- the symbol for that is below- it looks like an arrow shooting straight for the stars.
Now look for the degree. This month we’re after 0 degrees. In my case, it falls in the 9th house.
This will tell you what part of life is being energised by the New Moon.
What part of life?
Each segment of the chart, we call them houses, represents a different part of life.
This is where the Moon is transiting.
- Any New Moon falling in angular houses ie the 1st, 4th, 7th, and 10th, will work more obviously and publicly. These houses are associated with
- The New Moon falling in succedent houses, ie the 2nd, 5th, 8th and 11th, will make you look more closely and work a little harder to identify and take advantage of the opportunity being presented to you. These houses are associated with
- The New Moon falling in cadent houses, ie the 3rd, 6th, 9th, and 12th, will require a deeper focus, an adjustment or change, and will ask you to think, observe and learn from something or someone.
This is the 9th house for me. I’m preparing a manuscript for publishing at the moment- trust me, I’m learning!
What planet or chart point is being aspected?
Look at the degree again. This month it’s 0. Now take a look around your chart.
Are there any planets between 0 and 2 degrees? Anywhere?
What about the degree that’s on your ASC or MC? This should be clearly marked on your chart. This is what I mean when I refer to chart points.
- Any planet within 2 degrees either side of the New Moon in the same sign as the New Moon is conjunct the New Moon. This month, that is any planet (or point) between 0-2 degrees Sagittarius.
- Any planet within 2 degrees (either side) in the sign opposite the New Moon is in opposition to the New Moon. This month, that is any planet (or point) between 0-2 degrees Gemini.
- Any planet within 2 degrees (either side) in the sign square the New Moon, and in the same modality to the New Moon is square to the New Moon. This month, that is any planet (or point) between 0-2 degrees Pisces or Virgo.
- Any planet within 2 degrees (either side) 3 signs around from the New Moon, in the same element as the New Moon is trine the New Moon. This month, that is any planet (or point) between 0-2 degrees Aries or Leo.
- Any planet within 2 degrees (either side) 2 signs around from the New Moon, in the same polarity as the New Moon is sextile the New Moon. This month, that is any planet (or point) between 0-2 degrees Aquarius or Libra.
Give emphasis to the personal planets- remember, everyone in your generation will have Uranus, Neptune and Pluto in a similar degree to you- what becomes important is not the aspect being made by the New Moon to these outers, but the aspects that those outer planets make within your natal chart that are, in turn, activated by the New Moon.
What is the nature of the aspect?
What is the nature of the aspect? This will tell you whether the transit will be “easy” or “hard”- and that doesn’t mean “good” or “bad.”
Que? Trines and sextiles are supportive, but if the situation promised is not a welcome one, it will happen quicker and easier than anticipated. Likewise, squares and oppositions are challenging and may make you work harder and wait longer for a promised but welcome situation.
Again, looking at my chart, this New Moon is trine my natal Saturn. Whatever is happening, will be happening easily. Although whenever Saturn is involved, so is hard work!
What does it mean?
In short, here are the guidelines I use- thanks to the remarkable The Eagle and the Lark, by Bernadette Brady:
- What house is the Moon in natally? What house is the planet being transited by the Moon in natally? These areas will be where the transit starts to happen.
- What house is Moon transiting? This is where the main action will be occurring.
- What house/s is ruled by the Moon natally? What house is ruled natally by the planet being transited? These are the areas of life that will be affected by the outcome of the transit.
In my case, my natal Moon is in the 1st house and rules my 5th house. All New Moons will, for me begin with me, and have their outcome on my “babies”, i.e. everything in my 5th. The main action around this will occur in the house the New Moon falls in- in this case, the 9th. The story will be altered by any planets being aspected along the way.
This month, the New Moon is trine Saturn:
- The Moon is in the 1st, so is Saturn. These areas of life will be where the effects of the New Moon start to happen. This has everything to do with me.
- The Moon is transiting the 9th house- this is where the main action will be occurring. Study, travel, boundaries, publishing, beliefs etc
- The Moon rules my 5th house, and Saturn rules my 11th . There will be an impact on my 5th, as always, but this time it’s also something to do with hopes and dreams, contacts, social network and the reward from my labour.
- The nature is a trine, so, good or bad, it will happen easily.
What if nothing happens?
Very often nothing will happen– even if the transit you’re receiving is an exact one…a direct hit. An event doesn’t necessarily need to be something that happens to you. In fact, more often than not, nothing actually happens. Sometimes it happens around you, sometimes it happens to someone close to you, sometimes it happens within you. I’ve learnt to see all of these things as being events. Events can be physical, emotional or relational.
There are no planets in the house receiving the New Moon?
That’s ok. This area of life will be activated regardless. Aspects made by the New Moon to planets in your chart will change the conversation that’s happening. No aspects, means general energy directed to that part of life. This house will have extra importance to you at this time.
Keep an eye on any longer lasting transits
The New Moon will activate the promise of any slow moving transit currently present in your life.
Set your intentions
Make them personal, make them achievable and make them relevant to the house receiving the New Moon. If it’s the 1st, you might want to make a few tweaks to your personal style, perhaps alter your behaviour or mask a tad. If it’s your 2nd, you might want to look at your budget, spending, attitude to money…you might want to clean out your wardrobe. Get it?