A few weeks ago when I was in Melbourne, my friend & I went for a tarot reading at Spellbox. Readings here are always fun and usually pretty spot on. This latest one was no different.
Without going into details, I pretty well got a “yes” to both questions I asked- even though one was a question I didn’t want to ask, but wanted a yes anyway. It wasn’t only a “yes”, it was a resounding keep pulling up aces and the World card “yes”. In the words of the reader, it was a “you need a good hard astral kick up the arse” yes and get out there and do it yes. It was a “I know you’re terrified of rejection but risk it” yes. In general, I think it was more reliable than asking the Magic 8 Ball…although I did get the same answer!
The other thing she told me is that I have to start listening to my heart rather than my head and listen to what the Universe is saying- regardless of whether I want to hear it what it has to say or not. Look for the signs, take note of the coincidences, feel the synchronicity.
This morning on the tarot application on Facebook, my card was Ace of Swords. A pretty cool card:
“Ace of Swords
Need to break down the bare bones of a situation and think this through. Leave doubt behind and concentrate on the details that need your focus. Get to the heart of the matter and begin. A new business matter that needs solid planning and vision. It’s time to find your inner strength and carry out your work. Logic and reason are in focus. Factual exploration may be needed.”
In fact, over the last few days, a few of these have been coming up. A friend replied today to my “like” status with “Sooooo, you doing anything about it or just liking it??? Poke, nag, shove…..”
Then this morning I am catching up on all the RSS blog feeds I subscribe to and I see one by Sarah Wilson titled “An Astral Kick Up The Arse.” I love Sarah’s earthy and very practical Capricorn brand of common sense:
“When we get an AKUTA we freak because it hurts and we don’t know where it came from. But if we allow it to stop us, and we then take a look around, we can see it’s in keeping with where we’re at and is a bit of a punctuation mark on a downward spiral, or a messy, bored, unmotivated stage in life where we’re not making good, proactive decisions. A punctuation mark stops things. Get’s us to notice. And switch directions.
Astral kicks happen all the time. We just don’t notice them. As someone said/wrote recently (I have no idea who/where):
every moment in life is a coincidence or miracle… it really is…we just happen to notice a handful and get surprised by them.
As my mate is saying to me right now as I type, it would be useful if we could notice the gentle, initial astral pokes and didn’t have to be kicked so violently… Noticing small coincidences and the miraculous way that life evolves and flows and makes sense is a good way to develop this skill”
Did someone say Uranus transit? Because I am soooooo feeling this one!
We are all now being given a punctuation mark in the shape of Mercury retrograde. This is our signal to slow down, go within, review, revise, rewind.
Mercury is the planet of communication- the process of getting messages out and about. This is why the main things that are impacted during Mercury retrograde periods are things like:
- Appointment times
- Travel times & arrangements
- Computers, phones & other electronic devices
- Getting to & from places
- Contracts and other documents
To mitigate the possible damage we make common sense suggestions like:
- Re-confirm appointments
- Check & re-check your travel arrangements
- Insure your luggage and tickets and make sure you have copies of all travel documents- preferably not in your bag
- Avoid mechanical problems, by making sure your car services are up to date
- Back up computers
- Avoid purchasing any major technology over this period (if you were buying a new phone or laptop before Xmas hopefully you have already done it)
- Avoid signing contracts, but if you have to, make sure you have read & re-read all the fine print
- If you must commence a new project, do the scoping work carefully- and seriously people, we should be doing this anyway!
In fact, when you look at this list, isn’t it all what we should be doing in any case?
Contrary to popular belief, whoever is up there controlling these things doesn’t just wake up, yawn & say, ‘Mercury, you cheeky bugger, get down there & stuff up everything to do with comms and stuff.’
All of these things happen because of the nature of the retrograde period itself.
During any retrograde cycle of any planet we bring our attentions within. The energy of the planet is intensified, and that energy is brought within. We review and revise in our head the nature of the area of life this retrograde is happening in for us. With our brains occupied in a different way we lose focus on what is happening around us- and that is when things happen.
For some of us with Mercury retrograde natally, this is how we operate normally- the rest of the population is now on our wavelength. We do all of that “re” stuff every day of our lives- it is when we don’t that the trouble starts. Those of us with, what the rest of the astrological community may call a “challenged” Mercury (ie Mercury retrograde, in Pisces, in the 12th house- I have all 3), usually do OK during the retrograde period- when things go wrong for us, it has usually been the knock on effect of something going badly for someone else!
When things go awry during a Mercury retrograde, we curse the Universe and go about putting it right. But what happens if we don’t? What happens if instead we take it as some sort of sign and go with it? What happens if instead it represents some sort of Astral Kick Up The Arse?
At this time of year we need that reminder. We are all madly trying to finish things up before Xmas closedowns and holidays take effect.
This retrograde is happening in Capricorn and the last third of Sagittarius. Business communications, projects, work/life balance, goals, ambition, ideas, faith, optimism will all be the areas we will be re-visiting over the next few weeks.
Some extra hints I would give for this time of the year:
- If you are buying presents on line, do it early- don’t rely on usual post schedules.
- Take extra care with holiday travel schedules ad leave plenty of time to get to the places you need to get to.
- Check all your payments- especially those made on line.
- Don’t rush communications just because it is the Xmas closedown- take the time to get them right & wait until the New Year if that is at all possible.
- Be prepared to wait for resolutions- anything which appears to be resolved now will most likely not be.
- Business systems are at particular risk this retrograde- change freezes are there for a reason at this time of the year. If you must make changes, test, test and re-test…and then cover your butt.
So, what can we do instead?
- Take the time to recharge your batteries
- Revise your goals
- Review your bright ideas
- Regain your faith in the future
- Recommit to habits, goals, the things you need to recommit to
- Reconnect with colleagues & friends you haven’t seen or spoken to for some time
- Renew and refresh whatever is jaded and old
- Revisit places, books, movies that mean something to you
- Rest and relax
And, if things do go wrong, we can maybe think about whether there is any reason why we are being given a punctuation mark, or, in some cases, an exclamation mark. Is there a reason we are being made to pause? Is there something we should be seeing that we are not? Are we too busy climbing ladders, chasing goals, doing the political spin thing that we miss the coincidences that are right in front of our noses? Hear the same name over & over? Run into an ex? Receive an email from someone you had forgotten about? Don’t analyse it, just accept it- it could be the astral kick up the arse that you are needing.
Mercury is retrograde from tonight for the next few weeks, turning around just in time for us all to remember auld acquaintances & auld lang syne…och aye (said in a really bad Scottish accent).
Who is impacted?
The usual suspects ie anyone with their Sun, Moon Ascendant in Virgo or Gemini will, as always, feel it. My general rule is, the stronger the presence that Mercury has in your chart, the more you will feel the retrograde periods. See, I even used bold.
This time around though, anyone who has chart points between 6 Capricorn and 19 Sagittarius will also be impacted.