Up in Ubud in May we got talking to our driver, Kadek, about balance. So much of Balinese culture is about balance- I wrote about it here. Kadek laughed at how us Westerners come to Bali to relax our minds and our bodies after working so hard to save the money to come to Bali to relax our minds and our bodies. ‘And then you go back to work hard for the next holiday,’ he said.
It’s true, we do.
One of the things I did when we were in Mooloolaba last week was take a good, hard look at my priorities, what I wanted to achieve and what I was prepared to do to achieve it. Of course this was partly due to the fact that I’d recently finished at my job, but mostly it was because in finishing my job I’d understood just how very tired and strung out I was.
In the self-publishing or indie world, the model is write-publish-repeat so it’s vitally important to build a back-list. Any spare minute I have is spent doing that. Sure, I’m working towards my goals, but along the way I’d lost my balance. If you’re interested, I wrote a bit about my schedule and competing priorities here.
Walking the beach each morning helped me realize just how out of whack I was. Rather than allocating my resources (energy in this case) into the areas where it would be most efficient, I’d been trying to do it all- and had spread myself way too thinly.
The thing is, it’s all very well to write, publish, repeat, but how do I get people to know I have product out there? How on earth would I fit developing a marketing strategy into an already overloaded schedule?
That’s when I realised I didn’t have to do it all. There was nothing wrong in asking for help. Although I had this insight a whole week before the Full Moon, a Full Moon insight it was.
The Capricorn Full Moon each year is your annual reminder to look at just how effectively you’re managing your resources. It’s a perfect time to ask questions such as:
- What has to give at home for career ambitions to be realized?
- What balance do you have between the public you and the private you?
- Have you put the same effort into both parts of your life, or does one eclipse the other?
- Have you effectively managed your available resources? What about your emotional resources?
- Who is supporting you? Do you really need to do it all?
- Have you been prioritizing work over self-care?
- Have you been serious about your vocation and what you want to achieve?
- Are there goals that you’ve fallen short on, goals you haven’t stretched yourself enough on, goals you’ve given up on, goals that aren’t really authentically you, goals that don’t make your heart sing?
- Are the sacrifices out-weighing the perceived rewards?
- Is the large house, private school, overseas holiday, prada bag…whatever…what you really want or what you think that you should be wanting?
- Is the need for public respect outweighing your need for self-respect?
- Are you comfort eating (or drinking) and using that as an excuse not to pursue your goals?
Be honest- there are no right or wrong answers here, and no judgement- we all have different values and make our decisions based on these. If my last job taught me anything, it was that.
If you want, treat this Full Moon as a personal performance review – you should check-in on your goals regularly- but only if you’re prepared to do something to change those results. In my example, up until now I’ve refused to look at my book sales because I know I’ll beat myself up about it- even though I haven’t set myself a target number or been in a position to do something about it.
Doing it for yourself…
By now you should know the drill- if not, check out this post for a refresher.
The point you’re looking for is 27 Capricorn 40’…or thereabouts.
If you’re not sure where this is for you, simply use the solar guide below, and refer back to Series 1 of the Toolbox for pointers on what each of the houses means.
What do I mean when I tell you to look to the opposite house for balance? The Full Moon is about looking at where you’re compromising or over-compensating. Consider how you’re balancing your personal resources, ambitions, goals in that part of your life.
In my chart, this falls in the 11th house. For me it’s about balancing my hopes, dreams and future rewards for the work I do (11th house stuff) against creativity, play and identity security issues (5th house). The 11th is also friends and networks.
From an aspect viewpoint, this Full Moon sextiles my Moon (27 Pisces). Although most of the action (for want of a better term) this time around will be in the 11th house, given that the Moon natally rules the 5th for me, this is where the outcomes will be.
While in Mooloolaba I connected with someone in my social media network who just happens to be a marketing consultant. How very 11th house. I’ll be outsourcing my marketing strategy to her, leaving me more time to write and play. How very 5th house. This will help me achieve my goals, measure my results and allocate my resources more efficiently- how very Capricorn- while supporting my emotional health and giving me back some family and friends time- how very Cancer.
Get the idea? Why not try it for yourself…
The Full Moon at 27 Capricorn 40’ will fall on July 20…or late on July 19…depending on where you live.
- If your Sun or Ascendant is in Cancer, this Full Moon falls in your 7th house. Look to the 1st for balance.
- If your Sun or Ascendant is in Leo, this Full Moon falls in your 6th house. Look to the 12th for balance.
- If your Sun or Ascendant is in Virgo, this Full Moon falls in your 5th house. Look to the 11th for balance.
- If your Sun or Ascendant is in Libra, this Full Moon falls in your 4th house. Look to the 10th for balance.
- If your Sun or Ascendant is in Scorpio, this Full Moon falls in your 3rd house. Look to the 9th for balance.
- If your Sun of Ascendant is in Sagittarius, this Full Moon falls in your 2nd house. Look to the 8th for balance.
- If your Sun or Ascendant is in Capricorn, this Full Moon falls in your 1st house. Look to the 7th for balance.
- If your Sun or Ascendant is in Aquarius, this Full Moon falls in your 12th house. Look to the 6th for balance.
- If your Sun or Ascendant is in Pisces, this Full Moon falls in your 11th house. Look to the 5th for balance.
- If your Sun or Ascendant is in Aries, this Full Moon falls in your 10th house. Look to the 4th for balance.
- If your Sun or Ascendant is in Taurus, this Full Moon falls in your 9th house. Look to the 3rd for balance.
- If your Sun or Ascendant is in Gemini this Full Moon falls in your 8th house. Look to the 2nd for balance.